Thursday, April 16, 2015

Final 3D Printing Prototype

Today we had our final critique for our 3D printed prototype and I could not be happier with the end result!

There were some things about my project that I actually changed from my original plan. Instead of the problem being the person had no fingers, I changed the problem to the person only having 1 finger and needing to open paint, ink, a bottle, etc. I re-printed my prototype for the third time and here are some images of it in the end:



My 3D printed prosthetic was successful in opening ink and paint, as well as my water bottle. Here is an image of that below:


This photograph demonstrates my progression of ideas and how the prototypes have changed over the duration of the last few weeks:


Overall, I was very happy and satisfied with my final prototype. It took a lot of determination and strength, especially in the beginning of the project. I kept getting discouraged because I still was not understanding the project and my designs were just unrealistic. However, I kept re-visiting my design and making improvements and I believe that it showed in the end product! 3D printing was a challenge but something that I do hope to continue in the future.

Enjoy a lovely video from Nickelodeons Dora the Explorer singing "We did it!", which describes how I felt once my prosthetic worked and I was finally successful in my design :)






3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, my name is Romario Mendoza and I will also be working with you on this disability project alongside Alexis. Your project looks very well made and useful to the people out there with only one finger. With that said I hope to accomplish this project. My email is mario.rocks18@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! My name is Antonio Lopez and I was assigned to a project in which we have to work with college students and I'm pretty sure you're the person I am going to be working with. Anyways I look forward to working with you on this project

    ReplyDelete