Thursday, May 14, 2015

Final Exam Day Questions

1. I really enjoyed Danni's Show N'Tell about Prosthetics for animals. As we all know, I am a huge animal lover. I did not only choose her Show N'Tell for the sole purpose that I love animals, but how prosthetics can be used for animals as well. Her project made me think back to my animals, who are very old and have a difficult time walking. Prosthetics can not only be used to replace a body part, but can also be added to aid an animal, or a person, therefore her project was relatable for myself.

It was crucial for me to know that prosthetics go beyond the human body and they can help other things on this planet. It effected my understanding of course materials by realizing that prosthetics can go beyond our imagination and can do some pretty incredible things. Especially with 3D printing, there should be no limit to what you can do or what you can create.

It may influence my future teaching because I want to provide that positive and uplifting tone in my classroom environment. I want students to be realistic, but to also know if you can put your mind towards something; you can do anything.

I also really enjoyed Kaitlyn's Show N'Tell about how prosthetics can be turned into art. Her project make me think about how whenever someone would get a cast, family and friends would always want to draw or sign their casts to show support and make it prettier to look at! I think this concept can definitely be applied to the world of prosthetics and I am happy that is has been. People should not look at prosthetics as a negative thing, but should bring light to it and her research has proved that.

2. "The reconceptualization of art education asks, 'what can be created of what we have been conditioned to be?' - by routine and by omission." -Carpenter and Tavin, 2010

This specific quote stood out to me when I was reading this curriculum studies handbook because I have never really heard of the term 'reconceptualization' and I wanted to further my knowledge about that, especially when it comes to the art classroom. To me, this quote is not very positive and I think education, especially art education, is quite the opposite. This quote to me means that creating art and art education is nothing but a routine. Is this really true? God I really hope not.

I understand reconceptualization and how it is constantly moving forward with what is happing in todays society. Ideas are constantly evolving and growing and we need to keep up with the ever-changing times. To me, reconceptualization is re-doing or re-working certain concepts and ideas to aid in the development of what is occurring today and how we can make certain ideas better.

I also enjoy how they touched on community-based learning because I incorporate that into my final lesson plan! When they introduced community-based learning, I really tried to incorporate it into my studies at this institution and how I can incorporate this concept into my education. I want students to reflect on their communities and the environment around them and how this has aided them in their learning processes.

In the article by Bequette and Bequette entitled "A Place for Art and Design Education in the STEM Conversation", it stated that adding art to traditional STEM curriculum thinking could "weaken each discipline and confuse the boundaries between different approaches".

This quotation really stood out to me because I completely disagree with it and it did not aid in my learning in this class. It has showed me different opinions that people have about this topic, but it made me angry to be quite honest. I think adding art to STEM with only strengthen all of these disciplines and vary the types of leaning. Adding different disciplines to each is almost offering students a different way to think about concepts and problems.

Especially art, art can be applied to everything. By this article, it has shown me some opinions about art in the classroom and digital technology. Some people do not believe in this and that is okay, that is their  personal opinion. Personally, wanting to be a future educator I am trying to see it from both sides. I can see how boundaries between different approaches and disciplines can be blurry if art is added, but look at what adding art to STEM can do. It can strengthen relationships between these different areas and offer more opportunities and different solutions.


3. The project cluster that had the greatest impact on my understanding of what it means to learn in a Digital Visual Culture was the final project cluster. Creating an interactive app based around a map was something that I never thought I would have to do. Especially in todays society, each and everything you do is based around technology. Especially us college students, we are all attached to our smartphones and we are constantly utilizing different apps for different things. I think the point of technology is to access information and communicate with others via the quickest and easiest way. This is especially evident through smartphones, and the fact that we created a prototype to aid in this communication as well as seeing others was an incredible experience.

With this specific project, I have learned several things I would want to bring to my classroom as well as some things I would not when it comes to curriculum and the 21st century student. For example, we all were not very excited about working with a group, let alone from a completely different practice from us, for our final project. I think students today would much rather work on projects themselves, than with a group and especially from another class. I do admire how there were different group roles because this provided a sense of structure and balance within the group. We were able to successfully complete all tasks and still be able to help the others in our group without stepping any boundaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment