Thursday, February 19, 2015

As a result of talking about copyright and appropriation, it got me thinking about not only different artists, but how this is applied to art education.

An artist that stood out to me who appropriates artwork in Marcel Duchamp. One of his most renown pieces of art is L.H.O.O.Q (1919) which is a Ready Made of the Mona Lisa.

A ready made is a piece of artwork that is slightly changed in order for it to be called that artists own. The object or painting is typically already made, the artist just has their own artistic license to change an element about it to make it their own.

This has to do with appropriation because appropriating a piece of artwork is copying or taking a piece of artwork, however you are slightly changing it and altering it to make it your own.

A question arose about how copyright and appropriation work when it comes to Education. If you are using something for specific reasons such as Education or even a Parody, that is fair use. This question came up because last semester for a lesson plan, I needed to find materials to assess student artwork. I chose a rubric and I found it online. I took that rubric and matched it with my project and altered some elements, would this be copyright or appropriation? What do you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment